Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rusty Old Bucket

Army Bucket  by Shirl Ireland  6" x 6"  oil
artifact in the collection of the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center
Beginning in 1883, for more than 30 years, the U.S. Army had a presence in Yellowstone National Park. (If you'd like to learn more, click here.) This bucket was found by the Astor Creek Cabin by a Park ranger. The cabin was burned in 1970.


I love to show the variety in the collection of the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center. This bucket certainly shows that not all are 'pristine artifacts' there. Rich with history, the artifacts are far reaching in dates as well as categories. To drive home that point...wait until you see next weeks subject - (to be continued).

Hayden Valley Sunrise  by Shirl Ireland
6" x 6"  plein air oil
While I'm at it, I'm going to add the 'plein air landscape of the day' - Hayden Valley in Yellowstone National Park. This is where I was painting at sunrise this morning.

Sunrise and fog paintings are tricky. Mix the two together and it's definitely a challenge. The colors, values and shapes are changing every moment. You just have to pick one and go for it - quickly!

I chose a moment when the sun was just rising and created a slight shadow from the fog on the river. (Remember, I love those subtle color changes. Notice the warm to cool shifts.)

Painting at sunrise is certainly a time when it helps to have some plein air painting experience under your belt. This is probably one of the fastest Yellowstone Squared paintings I've done so far. The moment was fleeting. In no time, the fog had totally covered the valley and I couldn't see a thing.



Thought I'd 'pile it on' today, because tomorrow - "Let the Show begin"....stay tuned.


No comments: