Tuesday, July 12, 2011

How lucky I am...

My plan for painting this morning was to head into Yellowstone Lake. (A favorite spot -- I know, I have many of those!) So I was up and out early - well before 5 AM. I was looking forward to my dawn drive over Dunraven Pass - the light in the early morning or late evening can be beautiful up there.

Then, I drove by this...
Yes, Blacktail Ponds in Yellowstone National Park. It can grab me.

I love the mysterious quality of fog. And from experience, I know sunrise over Blacktail Ponds can be absolutely glorious. The fog would only add to the interesting color dimension of the scene. And between the fog shifting and the sun rising - there would be lots to challenge a plein air painter to capture such a fleeting 'moment in time'. How could I drive by?

So my best laid plans would have to wait - there was fog to paint!

For the other hours of my life, I usually 'stick with the plan'. But this is MY time - I can be spontaneous when I want to. And I wanted to this morning. So Yellowstone Lake will be another day.

I was setting up to start painting and was surprised by an elk in velvet trotting through. He seemed startled to see me standing there. I watched for a moment, and then he took off....with a stride that gave me a hint that wolves may be near.


Elk have a certain stance about them - head up, chest out, rhythmic trot - when they're showing wolves how 'formidable' they are. I scanned the distance, but in the low light I saw nothing. So back to my painting.

Shortly after, a pack of wolves on the hill beside me began to howl. The perfect sound to add to the aura of a foggy Blacktail scene. Standing in the middle of  this 'paradise', with the subtle color shifts, the close value ranges and the warm and cool transitions - I was thoroughly 'in the zone'.

Fog over Blacktail Ponds   6" x 6"  plein air  oil 
by Shirl Ireland
This morning, I thought about painting another canvas. I didn't want it to end. I was looking for a reason to just stand in that field at the edge of the water and take it all in - just a little bit longer. 

But everything must come to and end. So I packed up and headed home. When a favorite saying came to mind - "It's a beautiful little universe and we are fortunate to live here". It's nice to start the day being reminded of it.






No comments: