Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Blast From The Past

I've been 'blasting' a lot of photos lately. With digital photography - why not? Taking photography classes as part of my art curriculum in college was very different than photography today. Aperture, depth of field, dark rooms, etc. - all replaced by "auto-everything" digital photography.

I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the early cameras in the collection of the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center. Here are 2 cameras from the 1890's. Technology has certainly changed in 120 years...

Early cameras - from the archive of the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center
12" x12"   oil   by Shirl Ireland


my painting subjects



I took some close-ups of the cameras from different angles - so you can see if you can figure out how they were used.... There's not even a place to put the rechargeable battery!...



No comments: