Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A very different view of Old Faithful

the subjects of the day
from the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center

Yes, that's an Old Faithful ash tray, with a Yellowstone Park souvenir letter opener and nail file, too. (The letter opener was from 1940, so it gives you a little historical perspective.) I was at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center this morning for my weekly painting session in their archives. This one was Curator's Choice.

I like that for a change - having someone else choose my subject matter. Makes me think harder... "How do I ever make THIS a good painting"? But I'm known to like challenges.

I went for a strong composition... make Old Faithful the focus with the letter opener as a secondary interest. The nail file I used as my "lead in". Play up the geyser, minimize the lettering. Go for juicy paint - mix up the textures and brush strokes, keep the piece fun and interesting to look at. Get the essence of the souvenirs without adding too much tiny detail. Go for a dark background to set it off - a hint of black velvet could be appropriate in this instance!

It will be framed and added to my 'Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center wall' in the Gallery. Stop in and see the collection as it grows if you're passing through Gardiner this summer.

Yellowstone Relics by Shirl Ireland
8" x 10" oil on linen

Our Yellowstone Zoo... photos taken from our windows

"our" elk calf, now able to stand and walk.....

The elk calf that was born in our yard is now big enough to follow his mother. So Mom and baby have now moved on. "Our calf" was born on the early side, but there will be LOTS more to see in Yellowstone in the next few weeks.

June in Yellowstone is a great month to see the beginnings of the 'next generation'... great horned owls and ravens are fledging, coyote pups are emerging from their den, mule deer, pronghorn, moose and elk calves are born, sandhill cranes will be hatching, etc. etc....  AND June is mating season for grizzlies, so you never know what you might see!

No comments: