Sunday, May 29, 2011

Waxwings are here!

Cedar Waxwing  by Shirl Ireland
6" x 4" oil on linen
Postcards From The Park series - $125 unframed
Inspiration for this painting came from a photo I took (posted below).

Yesterday, the cedar waxwings came through. Waxwings are almost always seen in flocks. Since berries are a favorite food, they descend on our cherry tree. That gave me a chance to snap some photos. Beautiful birds - makes a great "postcard".
We're having a VERY unusually COLD and WET Memorial weekend. It's snowing in Yellowstone right now! But it's not stopping the 'die hards' from getting on the river here in Gardiner.... 
white water rafters
kayaker
I'm not sure WHAT this one is - it's a new one this year to me.

4 comments:

K Dahl said...

Those last two crazy people are on "paddle boards" which I've seen used on the ocean (a combo padde/surf board), just seems crazy on the river! Northern Wisconsin is very rainy today. Thanks for the elk baby posting, very cute.

Shirl said...

Thanks for the clarification. It DOES seem crazy on the river - especially through the rapids.. If I would have had my camera in hand a few seconds earlier, I could have got some GREAT shots of them tumbling!

CReid said...

Michael Leach has made SUP (Stand Up Paddling) popular on the Yellowstone - even has a You Tube video of his efforts! I'm not sure I could pull it off...great painting!

Shirl said...

I think I'll send John down first - and if you decide to try it, give me a heads up and I'll be ready at the Gallery windows with my camera for sure!