Friday, June 24, 2011

On a detour at Artists' Paint Pots...

I usually try to predict a bit when I plein air paint…where I should paint for the current weather conditions, how the light will change over the next couple hours, the angle of the sun and how it will affect the scene, etc. etc. It goes with my personality - I like a plan.

Since I paint often in the Park, my knowledge to predict Yellowstone has increased. But sometimes in Yellowstone, there is NO predicting.


This morning, I decided to head to Artists' Paint Pots. After all, I HAVE to include that spot in my Yellowstone Squared project – if nothing more than to honor the name! So off I went.

It was a little foggy in the Park – perfect. I love painting thermal areas with some ‘added mystery’. So I continued to Artists’ Paint Pots, with just a couple quick stops to watch a grizzly foraging and take some sunrise photos…just 'the usually morning stuff' in Yellowstone (!!)....



I made it to the parking area when the sun was just peeking over the mountains. Great. Exactly what I wanted – the low angle of the sun just starting to pierce the fog over the Paint Pots. All was right on schedule.



It’s a short walk ‘into the pots’. I walked around to find my best paintable angle on the scene. One particular spot caught my eye. The first light was illuminating the distant mountains. That would be fleeting at best. But I liked the current light and shadow shapes in the background, and along with the Paint Pots in the foreground, I thought it could make an interesting square composition....so I set up QUIICKLY.
But at sunrise, on a foggy morning, standing in the middle of a thermal area with boiling water just a few yards from me, it gets unpredictable. Just as I had my easel set up, the fog shifted and those mountains were gone. Actually, the entire distance was gone!
But I find part of being a plein air painter is adaptability for what comes your way. (I try to take this lesson into my life as well!). So adjust I did.

Instead of a mountain scene, it became a fog scene. But I do love painting fog – always have. The subtle color shifts are amazing and trying to get it down on the canvas quickly is a good challenge. So even with my change of plans, I enjoyed myself thoroughly. Another good lesson for life that I try to keep in mind…."A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour".


Artists' Paint Pots  6" x 6"  plein air  oil  by Shirl Ireland


Just as I was packing up, the fog lifted. And so it goes – that’s how the ball bounces on plein air painting in Yellowstone! Made for some great shots on my way out though….
As I headed home, I came across a pair of herons in the morning light….
Then, my camera battery died, right at the exact moment one of the herons took off. Oh, it would have been a beautiful photo! The one that got away.


Since the theme for my day, seemed to be ‘on a detour’, it was only fitting that TODAY was the first morning that the back road from Mammoth to Gardiner was opened. I love taking that detour. So I headed down the ‘road less traveled’. However, I couldn’t take photos of the great wildflower display since my camera battery was dead. But, I’ll be back!

No comments: