Saturday, June 25, 2011

Yesterday I was on a detour, but today I hit a dead end….

The Lamar River is running at the highest water level ever recorded. Another record event in Yellowstone this year. Last night, it washed out the road!
Click here to see Yellowstone Park's press release about the wash out.
So I went to the ‘end of the road’ and painted the view of the Lamar River this morning...
Lamar River High Water  6" x 6"  plein air  oil  by Shirl Ireland

This is why I paint plein air - look at my photo from this spot..... a photo just can't capture those colors and the wide angle lens distorts the perception of the distant mountains. But you get the idea....

A few sights along the way…..

deer in velvet

sandhill cranes at their nest

bison calf

The big Yellowstone news of the day headlined what I thought I'd be blogging about...
Last night, we went to an art opening for Tim Shinabarger in Bozeman, Montana at Tierney Fine Art. Tim spends most of his creative time sculpting, although he also paints too. It was a nice showing of his bronze work. John often sees his pieces 'in the works', since they both use the same foundry, so it's good to see the finished pieces on display. Check it out if you're in the neighborhood.... click here for a link to Tierney Fine Art.

No comments: