Thursday, June 23, 2011

Morning on Blacktail Ponds in Yellowstone National Park

It was gorgeous out at Blacktail Ponds in Yellowstone this morning. VERY interesting light and VERY fleeting. A good challenge for a plein air painter to capture. I was trying to get down those beautiful color harmonies, fast! While I was painting furiously, there was a lot of action going on around me. It was hard to fit it all in this morning...
Blacktail Light   6" x 6"  plein air  oil  by Shirl Ireland
a rainbow at sunrise

an elk chased into the pond by a wolf
This is a coyote. I missed the wolf shot. Too busy painting!


a bison herd with many new calves
 

wild geranium

On my way home, I came around a bend and this black bear was standing in the middle of the road. By the time I grabbed my camera, he had started to wander off. Too bad, I had a perfect view of him - a gorgeous big black bear in great light looking my way.

   

Our Yellowstone Zoo -
photos taken right out our windows...
A robin's nest - yes, even Yellowstone has robins. I took this photo out the front door. The nest is on the far end of our gallery porch. So if you stop by in the near future, be prepared to duck from the wrath of mother robin!



No comments: