Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Time Management for Artist Mothers

In my March art class, the question was raised…How do I fit art in with motherhood, along with everything else we have going here?

Good question.  With this being Spring Break week at our school, I’m reminded how creative I need to be with my time management as a ‘work at home’ artist mother.

A post on the subject seemed warranted, since others are also pondering this one as well.

There was a time when I had 2 very small children, that I wondered how it was all possible, too. That’s when the original shock of how much time kids take really kicked in. There wasn’t enough time in the day anymore. Through my sleep deprived stupor, I pondered the question over and over.

I definitely knew that sleep as I had known it was gone. I needed to ‘find more time’ and sleep certainly seemed to be one area where I could pull from! My motto became sleep is for sissies”.
I found that I needed to keep a good attitude about it (attitude is everything, right?!) and I could survive on less sleep than I ever imagined. There was a purpose to my madness and I kept that in mind. I wanted it ALL – to be a ‘good mom’ AND to be an artist. What’s a little less sleep to have it ALL??

I decided that as an artist, I was a creative person, so I would get ‘creative’ with how to fit it all in.  I did – and still do. I keep my art supply 'stash' in the car for those opportune moments. I don't think of my work day as an 8 hour block anymore. There are stops and starts throughout it all - it's a full 24 hour block that I pull from. Balance is key.  

An example – My daughter takes horse riding lessons…I drive her there… with my plein air set up ready to go. She goes riding and I get my paints out as quick as I can and get busy. Perfect amount of time for a small study of horses, scenery, shadows, whatever is in front of me.

The main thought I keep in the forefront of my mind…Am I spending my time on the right things? This one takes flexibility and continual adjustments to be sure I’m always headed in the right direction. But overall, I try to be sure I spend my time in the direction I want my life to go.

So I pare down and cut out where the ‘fat is’. No, I don’t watch TV at all and shopping is not my chosen past time. A professional manicure or pedicure?  Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha……. don't miss em'.

Here’s my Spring Break example: It’s hard to concentrate and paint with kids under your feet wanting your attention. At least, that’s true for me. But during Spring Break, I don’t have a moment ‘sans kids’.
Since I’m trying to paint everyday to keep up my ‘brush mileage’ – what’s a “work at home’ mom to do with kids here all week on Spring Break?

Here’s where creativity plays a part…

Well, my kids LOVE being around water and will be mesmerized at the shoreline with rocks and sticks and sand.

Right!... Use this week to paint water studies!!

One of my water studies this week - at the edge of the Lamar River.

(And get up EARLY to write blogs!)

And I couldn’t live without my ‘day planner’. I have a list and schedule for absolutely everything. Keeping it all organized in one place, makes our lives run smoother and helps to make sure I fit it all in. I schedule in painting time, bills, game night with kids, etc. Everything. Yes, I’ve even been known to have "shower" on my schedule during those particularly lean times of time deprivation.

And I always try to remember…Time is the most precious gift. I DO NOT want to waste it. I want to take FULL advantage of the time I’ve been given. To me, that means spending it wisely, doing the things I want to do in this lifetime….BOTH enjoying my kids and working at my art.
Time is all you have and you may find one day that you have less than you think.
 -Randy Pausch

No comments: