Friday, March 29, 2013

The best day in Yellowstone EVER!

Well I might be a bit giddy from it all, and have over exaggerated just a bit. But yesterday certainly was an absolutely FABULOUS day to spend in Yellowstone. I completely and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

3 studies under my belt, balmy temps (it was WARM, not even a coat was needed!)  the place virtually to myself (one painting I literally painted right off the white line, since there were so few cars on the road) and LOADS of wildlife, too.

I LOVE those gorgeous spring days – definitely some of the best of the year…heck, maybe even ‘of a lifetime’!

Warm Creek study - 12" x 9"  plein air  oil   by Shirl Ireland

Lamar River study - 6" x 12"  plein air  oil by Shirl Ireland

My easel with painting set up over the Lamar River. Not a bad spot to 'bask' for a while.
I've always liked the saying "to paint snow you have to have cold feet". But NOT yesterday! These are those days that you can't explain to an "Easterner" - I know, I lived out East in my 'past life'.

Here, in the West, the sun can come out and make it feel just about like a summer day. (You've seen those photos of skiers with shorts on?? They're not crazy - it can feel THAT warm - yes, even on the snow.)

So, I was basking.... Enjoying painting the snow with warm feet and hands. With the warmth of the sun on my back. Ahhhh - I love to be able to get snow studies without the 'winter dues'.

The wildlife must of been enjoying the mild weather too. There was a lot moving around...
Bison - many, many out and about. This one was particularly handsome.

Bighorn sheep - nice curls!

There were about 15 together.
 I couldn't fit them all in the photo.... now that's A LOT of curls!
 
AND - a mother moose with her calf.
 

Looks like I will be getting my brushes going on some new wildlife paintings!

Our Yellowstone Zoo
- photos from our windows -
 
Elk antics....
 
On the roof last night....
 
and wading in the river this morning.
There have been A LOT of elk on our property lately.

No comments: