Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Bison on cue

Today, I was working on one of the larger paintings I have going here in the studio - of a bison herd in the snow on a very 'messy' day.

This is a detail from the painting in progress.... I want the bison to FEEL like bison, but I don't want to 'get out the tiny brush' and add every hair. Think Fechin. (Check back to one of my recent posts if you don't know what Fechin is)
 
When, what do you know, my models showed up!...

Our Yellowstone Zoo
- photos out our windows -
It was really helpful to see them moving and try to capture 'their essence'. 

As I was painting, I wondered how many artists are lucky enough to have their wildlife models show up out their studio windows?? And bison at that!

Now, gotta go - time to get ready for my painting class here on Tuesday evenings in March. Tonights topic is color. One of my favorites!

No comments: