Sunday, January 27, 2013

Artist studios

I've been thinking a lot about artist studios lately, since we're in the process of building 'our dream studio'.

Progress Report:
Ceiling and log work is done - on to the floor.
AND, I've had some extra time to think in the last several days... We've been passing around winter germs here and I was hit HARD this week. So I did more 'laying low' than usual....and what better to think about than artist studios when you can't get your head off the pillow? Luckily, victory is now mine.... I'm able to sit upright to type this blog!

Fortunately, I've had the opportunity to be in some great artist studios over the years - some of the artists whose workshops I've attended, some college instructors to artist friends. It's an eclectic mix out there - many full of style and personality. Some much more utilitarian - others more chaos than calm. Sprawling to compact. Neat to piled high. Sara Genn has an interesting collection of artist spaces to illustrate the point. Lots of historic ones too. Click here to see her photos.

I like a good mix of form and function. I want my studio space to be inviting. Somewhere I find both attractive and functional. A pleasure to be in and work in. Like a favorite room of the house or your favorite book - inviting and comfortable.

Over the years, I've certainly had many different spaces I called "my studio"....a drawing table in my college room, a corner in the basement, a converted extra bedroom in a Victorian house, the studio we designed and built in the Adirondack Mountains...and of course many kitchen tables along the way!


Our studio in the Adirondack Mountains


I used the 'silo' in our home as an adjunct studio, when the kids were just born.
The top floor was the 'nursery'.
(For this home, we designed and built it using a reclaimed antique hand hewn barn - a mortise and tenon timberframe - as the main structure. That's why - the 'silo'.)

So really, I've been thinking about what makes a great artist studio for most of my life. And, as you can see, I've already tried some designs out too.

Now, the excitement for this 'dream studio' overlooking Yellowstone National Park is building. (pun intended).... We're getting close....

The north windows for the most consistent natural light are in place. The casement and awning windows are installed to provide good ventilation. The wiring is in for fluorescent lighting to provide a good balance of artificial light (5000-5500 Kelvin is generally considered "best" for painting purposes). The black walnut flooring John is now installing to provide an attractive and comfortable surface for long periods of standing. It's installed over a layer of thin cement that holds the tubing for the radiant heat, which is heated by our solar hot water and masonry heater. Check, check, check.
 
Next step?....the paint color for the walls. Oh, this is one of my favorites!
Some sample color swatches on the wall.
I like to see how a painting looks against the wall colors in the space. Trying many different paintings is important, since I want a color that will go well with A LOT of colors and frames - not just look great with one particular piece.  I'll look at them in day and night lighting too.
 
In a past studio, I used the 'typical' Benjamin Moore #1490. It's a grey-green neutral used often in artist circles. But I didn't want to go there this time. It didn't seem to fit this space or my tastes these days. So I'm experimenting a bit...testing my colors on the walls, instead of canvas.

I'll be back with the 'winning color' very soon! Watch for the progress report.


A photo from our windows....
A glorious sunset from earlier this week.


3 comments:

Sondra said...

I love your blog, Shirl. Even as a 'local', I love to see your photos, hear about the progress in your home and studio, and enjoy the life of art through your eyes.

Thank you!

Sondra said...

I love your blog, Shirl. Even as a 'local', I enjoy seeing your photos, hearing about the progress of your home and studio, and enjoying the world of art through your eyes.

Thank you!

Shirl said...

Sondra...much appreciated! It's nice to know you're following and enjoying our 'goings on'. Thanks for sending your comments my way!