Sunday, September 23, 2012

WOW! WOW! & WOW!

I'm not sure what headline to give the incredible weekend we just had at Old Faithful....

As guest artists for Yellowstone Park Foundation's 15th anniversary event, it was a fabulous experience. A phenomenal group of people dedicated to supporting Yellowstone National Park - And a weekend at Old Faithful Inn at one of the best times of the year, plein air painting... how could it get any better?

"Our corner" at the event.
While staying at Old Faithful Inn, I planned to plein air paint and donate all of my pieces to be auctioned off as a fund raiser for the Yellowstone Park Foundation.

Saturday was my day to paint, so I was up VERY early...and the light was with me! An amazing sunrise over Old Faithful geyser started me off.  I wanted to 'paint hard for the cause' and I managed to pull off 5 plein air paintings by 5 PM! -- I think that's a record for me.
 
My day of plein air painting near Old Faithful...

6" x 6"   Oil    Plein Air  by Shirl Ireland
Old Faithful before the sun rise just before erupting - a steamy, cold morning.
There was still a star in the sky I had to put in (top right).
 
6" x 6"    Oil   Plein Air  by Shirl Ireland
Old Faithful just after sunrise with the run off and steam after the eruption.
 
6" x 6"   Oil   Plein Air  by Shirl Ireland
Grand Geyser in the foreground - just after erupting
 
6" x 6"  Oil  Plein Air  by Shirl Ireland
Old Faithful erupting in mid day
 
6" x 6"  Oil  Plein Air  by Shirl Ireland
Castle geyser erupting with Grand Geyser erupting in the background in mid afternoon.
It was a challenging but great day of plein air painting in the Upper Geyser Basin. That was a lot of painting for one day!

By the end of the night, all 5 wet paintings had been auctioned off. So glad I'm able to support the work they do.

No comments: