Saturday, September 15, 2012

Glorious autumn

I love September! The weather is amazing and the wildlife abound. And as the landscape begins to take on it's glorious fall colors, the hiking in the Park doesn't get much better.

So I've been taking my 'painting pack' into the back country for some plein air studies. Still checking out rocks and water a lot. Here, I'm looking at it from a different angle.

I chose a low vantage point for a more interesting composition.

My study in oil.

As the number of people in Gardiner decrease in September, the numbers of wildlife around here start to increase. Always an interesting time for our "Yellowstone Zoo".....
 
Our Yellowstone Zoo
- photos from our property taken right out our windows -

This morning there was a group of elk across the river in Yellowstone National Park. This time of year the bull elk herd the cows and calves and the bugling begins. The 'sound of September' in the mountains that I never tire of...

The bull that was doing the bugling this morning is on the right. 

These calves decided to make a 'run for it'...

check out the shadow on the far right elk

cow and calf wading into the Yellowstone River
They swam across the River to our property....

 
 
 

They swam right over near the River Bed ( our "glamping" guest accommodations).
 
And then went along their way - (after they went around front and nibbled on my flowers, of course!)

No comments: