Thursday, August 23, 2012

Reminiscing with Thomas Moran - painter of Yellowstone

Well, sort of. The closest I'm going to get these days. Thomas Moran (1837-1926) is considered the first to paint Yellowstone. And was often referred to as Thomas "Yellowstone" Moran, since he claimed Yellowstone was "his love". I can relate.

In this blog, I definitely want to have a vein of art education - artistic principles as well as past masters. I want to do my little part to 'hone the public eye' to see good art.

So I bring up Moran. A name you need to know. One of his master pieces I have been lucky enough to see in person....Grand Canyon Of The Yellowstone. (Be sure to notice the measurements when you look at the photo of the painting here.) It's an amazing piece and in person 'larger than life'.

In the collection of the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center are his brushes, palette knife, wallet, sketch book and personal journal. Some very personal items that are as close as I'll get these days. And so I sat, reminisced and painted....I did most of the talking :)



Moran's Essentials - brushes, palette knife and wallet
6" x 12" Oil by Shirl Ireland

Moran's Soul - sketchbook and diary
12" x 12"  Oil by Shirl Ireland
If you'd like to open his diary and see what he has to say, click here.

Also, at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center are many of his watercolors and sketches, some of which I have painted in the past. But it was interesting to paint his personal items and tools he used. A different look inside the artist. He would probably be amazed to know a woman about 140 years later in Yellowstone was sitting with his tools, painting his brushes!

In the Albright Visitor Center in Mammoth, just 5 miles up the road, they have his easel, palette, hat, etc. on display. I'll have to go up there and continue 'our conversation' some day.

To learn more about Moran, click here.

No comments: