Thursday, July 21, 2011

Seeing is believing...

Midway Geyser Basin over the Firehole River  6" x 6"  oil  by Shirl Ireland
If you haven't been to Yellowstone, this probably looks like an abstract painting.

I first visited Yellowstone when I was 4 years old and was utterly fascinated by it all. I remember telling people, "if you haven't ever seen Yellowstone, you have to go - It's like the moon. A place like you've never imagined." You need to experience it all for yourself - first hand - to "get it". Personally, I can't get enough. Always different, always changing, always fascinating.

The magnitude is beyond pictures... and this painting is a good example. I think if you've been to Yellowstone you'd know this spot - where Midway Geyser Basin dumps into the Firehole River. But if you haven't been here, it probably looks a bit like an abstract painting. But it's for real - really.

I've been painting the Firehole River for the last couple mornings. It's been chilly in the Park, so the fog has been beautiful! This morning, I got behind a 'traffic jam' on the way to the Firehole.

back side of a bison herd

 Yesterday, I painted at the edge of the Firehole River too - just a very different spot... in the Firehole Canyon. It's a short loop off the main road - and WELL worth the detour.
Firehole Canyon   6" x 6"   oil   by Shirl Ireland

No comments: