Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Drawing with paint

I've always loved to draw, for as long as I can remember. That's why I enjoy painting architecture and 'interesting' still life objects so much. The drawing component becomes key.

Often, I've heard - "since I can't draw, maybe I should try painting". Unfortunately, that's not how it works. Drawing is a building block. If you can't draw, painting will be even more difficult. With painting, not only do you have to put the paint in the right place (the 'drawing' part), but you have to hit the right color while you're at it. Double complications.

So I look for any opportunities to hone my drawing skills. Today, at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center there sat an intriguing subject - for both drawing AND color mixing skills. How could I pass it up?

A slide projector from the 1920's.... for glass slides. There is even a similar version that is non-electric, I'm told. Very different technology from what we have today!

The glass slide is of Grand Prismatic Spring. Located in Midway Geyser Basin, it's Yellowstone National Parks largest hot spring. It measures approximately 370 ft. in diameter and is approximately 121 ft. deep. A 'must see' in the Park.

So I set about drawing and color mixing with NO black paint on my palette. All you have to do it put the right color in the right place....
Projector & Prismatic 10" x 16"  oil  by Shirl Ireland

the projector and slide from the archives of the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center

No comments: