Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center - nests & eggs

close up of painting

Today at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center I continued with my nest and egg series for Spring. My scientific subject could lend itself to looking a little ‘sterile’ in a painting, maybe leaning toward scientific illustration or photo realism – but that’s not where I want to go with it. I’m not trying to paint to look ‘just like a photo’. I want it to be an interesting painting with some educational components mixed in.

For me, an interesting painting has beautiful color harmonies with a variety of textures and shapes. It would include bold brush work with ‘juicy’ paint and maybe some palette knife painting, along with some thinner passages. (I thought I'd add a close up of the painting to illustrate that point.)

I posted a photo of my subject last week, when I first started the painting. (I included the bird species that goes with the eggs too if you’re interested.) Now, the painting enters the ‘cooling off’ period. I let it sit for a while, and then revisit it with a fresh eye to see what improvements, if any, I want to make. I had fun with it and I hope it shows.
Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center
Spring Nest and Egg series - oil painting - 20" x 16"


Our Backyard Zoo (and front yard too!)
 Here are a couple of today’s visitors…

American Kestrel (male) perched on our osprey platform
FYI - Kestrels are the smallest falcon in Yellowstone National Park
kestrel making a dive from the platform
a view out the front door of the gallery with bison grazing by


No comments: