Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center collection




















This morning I got to 'sit with' a painting by James Everett Stewart from 1887 of the Lower Falls in Yellowstone, at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center. I've been doing a few reproductions of some of the paintings in their collection. Doing copies is a great learning tool for an artist. There's no better way to get 'in the head' of another painter.... especially deceased ones! I've done a couple Moran watercolors and this morning I worked on this larger oil painting by Stewart. I'll post my 'results' after I finish it up.

2 comments:

Rolfe Bautista said...

wow these are really awesome paintings. They evoke the grandeur of those big paintings of nature from the turn of the century. I canot think of any artists names. They have simply skipped my mind.

Shirl said...

We just saw one of the 'grandest' of those turn of the century paintings by Thomas Moran. An absolutely HUGE painting of Yellowstone Falls. It's part of the collection at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center and Museum in Cody,WY. AMAZING! They've just done a major renovation and have displayed the painting very well. It you ever get to Cody it's a 'must see'.