Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Work Hard, Play Hard


We’ve been working hard lately…

On my work table (and in John’s workshop, too) are 3 large chandeliers that are just about completed - no idle hands here! (Photos will be taken very soon - stay tuned.)

On my easel are wildlife sketches and painting studies that I’ve been creating as references for my larger more complex studio paintings. Those larger paintings I have roughly blocked in and strewn throughout my studio at the moment - to be completed over this winter. But now I’m taking the time to work out references and study possible animal positions and anatomy for those paintings - An important step that is all too easy to blast right through…and regret later. Slow and steady, do the necessary work, put in the effort and the results will shine. At least that’s what I’m hoping J

Today, I did a graphite sketch of a raven at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center.
Raven sketch in graphite 
 by Shirl Ireland
 

I've also sketched a green winged towhee, painted a elk calf study and a great grey owl study at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center lately. Like I said, no idle hands here!...
 
Green winged towhee sketch in graphite
by Shirl Ireland

Elk calf study in oil
by Shirl Ireland

Great grey owl study in oil
by Shirl Ireland
 

 Now, it’s time to play hard….

Thursday December 5th is the Gardiner Christmas Stroll from 5 to 8 pm. We’ll have the Gallery opened with wine and chocolate AND offer great prices on our table lamps to ‘brighten up’ your Holidays.

Friday December 6th is the reception for the “Small Gems” Show at the Livingston Art Center from 5pm  to 8 pm on Main Street in Livingston Montana. I have paintings in the Show, John has sculpture and together we have table lamps too. (See the preview of our work in my last post.) The reception coincides with the Livingston Art Walk, so it should be a fun night.

Hope you can make the fun to see some of our hard work.

No comments: