Friday, October 4, 2013

Painting with a Water Ouzel

We hiked into the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone. I planned to paint in there somewhere.

It was a fabulous hike and we found a gorgeous sandy beach where we could have lunch. While we were eating a Dipper (or Water Ouzel) came by. Really interesting birds and lots of fun to watch.




They swim underwater (without the webbed feet of a duck) and fly too. I've read that they can actually walk underwater as well!




When they come to the surface, they will swim to a dry place to climb out.






YEAR ROUND - that's the even more amazing part to me. They stay here year round. We watch them in the middle of winter doing the same thing - seemingly unaffected by the well below freezing temps.

And they're just a 'little grey bird' - I love that. At first glance, you might not even give them a second thought. So small and plain, but truly amazing. Here comes my love of metaphors from the natural world....
 
He who truly knows has no occasion to shout.
Leonardo Da Vinci

So of course, painting ideas start to churn. I sat right there and did a quick plein air study of the Dipper's landscape.

11"x14" plein air study
I have a studio painting in mind... I love the grey on grey colors. Monotone but powerful. There's definitely a painting in there 'swirling around' - I hope I can find it!


Our Yellowstone Zoo
-photos from our windows-
 
So our hike was a couple days ago - then it snowed! Early, but you never know around here. We've been watching flocks of bluebirds feeding on the berries in our yard. Another painting idea percolating! Beautiful colors, far from monotone...
 
 

 

No comments: