Friday, September 6, 2013

Back To Basics

Of course, for me that phrase usually takes on an art bent.  And with my life at the edge of Yellowstone, an overall simplification can be read into that line as well.

Back to ‘Art Basics’...

I love to draw. Always have. But once you take on the challenge of painting, drawing a la carte can often get put aside.

Now remember, when you paint you ARE drawing with the added complexity of color involved – but you are STILL exercising your drawing muscles. I’ve had to debunk that myth many times, as people have told me “they wanted to learn to paint, since they can’t draw”. The two are intertwined. You can’t skip the drawing phase and just move onto painting.
I’ve heard of rigorous art training courses in the past that kept you drawing for two solid years before allowing you to wield a brush. Probably not so popular in this ‘instant gratification era’ – but it makes you realize drawing's importance in the scheme of things.

Certainly, at times, it can be good to revisit the important drawing skills for their own sake. Concentrating on drawing separately...not tied with color mixing, brushwork and the other complexities of painting, really can be liberating.
Since I’m planning some wildlife paintings for my studio time this fall and winter, I thought I’d warm up with some pencil and ink sketches.

Green-tailed Towhee sketch

A nice 'back to basics' point about sketching?...only paper and pencil required.

Why not flex your drawing muscles and try a quick sketch or two – anything will do.... the salt shaker in the kitchen, your shoe, your ‘other’ hand, whatever is ‘handy’. Heck, one of my favorite drawings I did in college was of an old wrinkled up paper bag! Try anything - you might be surprised at how engaged your mind can become with the challenge of drawing.

(If you're interested in drawing skills and would like to hear more - just throw out a comment here. I'd be happy to give more specific tips in future posts.)

And Back to ‘life basics'...
 
We must journey out so that we might journey in. 
Terry Tempest Williams
 
We paddled to Peale Island on Yellowstone Lake with friends over Labor Day weekend. Glorious to say the least.

Camping in one of the most remote areas of Yellowstone – the elk were bugling, the birds were migrating and all was beautiful, calm and serene...just as it should be. We watched swans, loons, eagles, cranes, kingfishers, deer, etc. etc. along with the sunrises, sunsets and oh, the stars.

Yellowstone is truly a magical place that everyone should have the opportunity to experience for themselves.

Sunrise on Peale Island

An eagle in the trees above

Sunset on Peale Island

Sandhill crane pair flying overhead

A loon on Yellowstone Lake

The sunrises were amazing!
 
I go out into places where human beings are small and insignificant to sense my place in them.
Susan Zwinger

Back to basics - It's a good place to be.

No comments: