Friday, June 21, 2013

A Blacktail metaphor

My easel this morning high on blacktail plateau.
This isn't my favorite view in Yellowstone to paint, nor was the light awesome this morning and the colors weren't particularly glorious. But I always learn something from the plein air painting experience. I know it's good for me to do - helps me grow as a painter.
 
So I put in the effort. I hiked to the top of the hill and I stood there painting, doing what I needed to do. Not anticipating a 'masterpiece' from my efforts. And standing there painting, soaking it in and listening to Yellowstone waking up, I found myself 'settle in'.... At that moment, it WAS my favorite place to be.
 
And with me and metaphors, it translates into a good motto for life....
 
Sometimes it's about where you are in life.
Not what you accomplish.
Today - enjoy where you are.
 
 
On my way out - I was keeping my eyes out for bears, since there have been many sightings in the 'petrified tree area' not far from where I was painting.
 
I spotted this black bear....
 
Then I saw a cub with her climbing the nearby tree....
 
higher and higher and higher...
Looks like he's doing what he needs to do today too and enjoying where he is.
 

No comments: