Sunday, May 12, 2013

Painting sunrise in Yellowstone

I'm a 'hard core' plein air painter. I paint outside year round in Yellowstone. But this time of year is when I pick up the pace!

The days are getting long now, and the temps are getting much more reasonable....which can make the whole experience a lot more successful and enjoyable.

Sunrise is my absolute favorite time to paint in the Park. However, that wasn't always the case....

It started out as necessity. As a mother of very small children it was the only time during daylight hours that I could 'sneak out' without them missing me. I could be back before they wanted their breakfast.

B.C. (Before Children), I was NOT a morning person. Not even close. But motherhood has a lot of unexpected twists and turns (to say the least!), so I adjusted my schedule to meet my children's needs.

It was that or nothing - and I knew I had to fit in painting.

And like so much I've found with motherhood - once I stepped in and left the chip on my shoulder behind - I realized the 'sacrifice' wasn't so bad. There were rewards too. I enjoyed my morning routine....

Well, I actually grew to love it....I mean ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.  It has remained my chosen time of day, even as the kids get older. Still a good time to 'sneak out' before the day derails my plans.

Yes, I get to start each day painting sunrise in Yellowstone National Park. How lucky I am.

So I was into the Lower Falls Lookout yesterday morning as the sun was coming up...

 and I headed into Willow Flats to paint the sunrise today.


I took this photo when the dawn colors were just beginning their show.
(Wish I could have added the bird sounds in here too!)
The Willow Flats area catches my eye in so many different lights and in every season. Today the soft colors and shapes were just gorgeous.


My easel with my plein air study of Willow Flats
And another added bonus this time of year?.... Bison calves.

The beginning of the 'Spring babies' in Yellowstone... It doesn't get much cuter...

Bison cows and calves in Mammoth this morning.

So to all mother's out there who have made changes in their lives to meet their children's needs (and I think that would cover us all!) ....

Happy Mother's Day

No comments: