Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A grizzly affair

I'm still painting grizzly skulls at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center. I've finished my study of the male grizzly skull.

From my last 'grizzly post', you saw the painting in progress. Here, I added some more form to the skull, a few details (particularly around the teeth and nose to bring them forward), some highlights and adjusted the background a bit.
576 1/2   - male grizzly skull   oil    by Shirl Ireland
Now, I'm planning a painting of the male and female skulls side by side. Being both 'average' sized male and female 12 year old grizzlies - the size difference is interesting to see.

 

I'm going to forgo the Yellowstone Zoo - for Montana wildlife today since....
 
the swans are back on the pond!

It's always exciting to see this pair of swans return to this nesting area. (It's about a half hour from our place.) I watch them from afar every year. And rejoice when I see the new cygnets on the pond for the first time with the parents. Spring is in the air! I'll keep you posted.

(If you've been following my blog....This is the pair of swans I referred to when I painted a swan on her nest for last year's Holiday cards - "Miracles Are Everywhere". )

No comments: