Monday, December 31, 2012

Skiing in Yellowstone


It’s a Holiday week….kids are on vacation from school and my daughter’s birthday is mixed in there too. Usually, a lot of ‘family time’ happens during the last week or so of the year. For us, that means getting outside to ski....
And skiing in Yellowstone is fabulous. The weather has been grand, the snow has been perfect and wildlife sightings have been above and beyond.
a great grey owl hunting for food

On this ski outing, I didn't 'lug my good camera set up' - so the photos could have been MUCH better. I learned my lesson and it was along on our next outings...

Three bull elk dozing.


Three bison browsing.
 
Interesting to watch bison 'dig for food' with their massive heads swinging back and forth to shovel the snow out of the way.
 
Skiing along we saw signs (scat) of a moose...as we came around a corner, a bull moose - right off the ski trail.
 
 
As we watched, we realized he was missing an antler. Looked like it may have been broken off.
 
Here, he's walking up the ski trail.
 
Then crossing over for some 'willow browsing' on the other side.

I was certainly glad I lugged my camera this time!
 
Some gorgeous light on the mountains on our way out.
 
Fun was had by all.... even the newest skier in the family.
 
From us to you....
Happy New Year!
Hope you're enjoying moments with your family and friends this time of year too.

No comments: