Sunday, November 18, 2012

My painting buddy

Doesn't say much - but a great painting subject....


This week my "painting buddy" at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center was a Sandhill Crane from 1931.

Usually, the crane is on display at the Fishing Bridge Museum by Yellowstone Lake. But, like the eagle I painted recently, also has been brought back to the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center for some cleaning over the off season.

A wonderful opportunity to study a Sandhill crane up close and personal. I learn a lot from seeing birds and wildlife close up (and very still!) at the Research Center. Details that I'd certainly miss from a photo in the field, I get a chance to study. Beaks and feet on birds are particularly interesting to see up close.This week I was focusing on the head....


While the Sandhill Crane is here at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center, I'm planning to do a lifesize portrait of the crane. These studies are leading up to that large canvas.

No comments: