Sunday, January 1, 2012

Composition / Design

Since good design is the foundation of a great painting, it's the perfect subject to begin the year with. We definitely want to start off with a strong foundation!

So with that in mind, I thought I'd follow up with my latest painting from the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center...
My subject - a traveler's trunk in the collection on the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center.
If design is a pleasing arrangement of the elements - this one has a lot of elements to choose from! And that is exactly what I think is important when contemplating your design - the elimination of all but the essential components to make your statement. So what are my essential components??

First, I pay attention to what 'catches my eye' right off the bat. Shapes and colors are often what does it for me, and this subject is filled with them! It will definitely need to be a bold painting.

The details of the trunk were very interesting, but the whole was entirely too overwhelming to create a strong composition. I focus on what I'm interested in within the subject...I chose a corner with the metal straps and locks. That's what caught my eye - great shapes, color contrast and interest for the painting.

Then, what ideas do I want to convey in my painting? It's about Yellowstone, so the bold Yellowstone Park sticker would create a nice prominent contrast with the blue background.

To round out my design, I need some 'supporting players'...the other stickers offer different shapes and colors that would add to the whole without overwhelming the main characters. Maybe cut them off or subordinate them in some way so they don't compete too strongly for attention.

I remind myself to keep it simple, so it makes a strong statement. Don't try to say everything, it'll be too watered down.

Now that I've choose the elements that support my idea, I need to arrange those elements in a pleasing way on my canvas. (Following the basic compositional rules I laid out in my post yesterday.)

On my easel at the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center with the trunk in the background. At this point, all essential shapes are laid in and the tonal values are established.
For me, composition was what this one was about. I had an entire trunk to choose from, but I had to compose it down to my 12" x 12" canvas. Lots of decisions (and eliminations!), had to be made.

A couple compositional notes to point out:

The diversity rule in action (from yesterday's post) - Notice the black strap running behind the metal locks. Each section of the black strapping is a different length. I consciously planned those shapes to create diversity within the positive and negative shapes of the painting.

My 'supporting players' (the subtle stickers at the lower section of the painting), although not my stars, the painting would be much less interesting without them. Cover that section over with your fingers and see what I mean? So composition isn't all about the 'stars', you need those secondary players too.

After those decisions were made and the elements placed, it's all down hill from here....
My finished painting....


Traveler's Trunk - a detail from an artifact in the collection of the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center
12" x12" oil 

No comments: