Monday, December 12, 2011

Warm snow?

Yes, to painters there is such a thing!

I thought I'd touch on a technical (and somewhat challenging) aspect of painting...warm colors vs. cool colors...color temperature.

The knowledge and proficiency a painter possesses of color temperature can make a HUGE difference in a painting. And this time of year, when I'm tackling snow, I'm thinking about color temperature a lot! The temperature shifts in snow can be subtle, but if you don't get them, snow and snow shadows won't work. It's definitely a leap when color temperature is assimilated into a painter's brain.

For a while, I remember understanding the concept on a rote basis. But it hadn't REALLY sunk in. Then, the 'ah ha' moment, when I realized - 'I got it'! It had finally sunk into the depth of my brain. It was working on a different level. Then, it was just a matter of practice. Now, I really enjoy the concepts of warm vs. cool in my paintings.

Here's a primer....
Many people understand that red is considered a warmer color than green. So in painter terms, viridian (a green) is cooler than alizarin crimson (a red). Okay, got that. BUT, alizarin crimson is a cool color when compared to cadmium red. IT'S ALL RELATIVE. You can't judge a color, unless you have something to compare it too. So that means...even a red can be cool. Or a blue, warm.

The quality of light also ranges from warm to cool - warmer light on a sunny day, cooler on an overcast day. A landscape painter must be sensitive to this quality in order to capture the feeling and mood of the day. And generally, a landscape also cools in the distance, so it can really complicate matters - or, make for a lot of fun - depending on how you look at it.

Below is a plein air sketch to illustrate my point. I was over near the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone the other day, following up of a tip from a friend. Three bull moose had been spotted hanging out together. She had photos, and I was hoping to get some of my own.

No sign of the moose (except LOTS of foot prints), so I thought I'd do a painting while I waited. Sometimes when I stand there quietly for a couple hours, wildlife passes by. No such luck this time. They never did 'show up', but I enjoyed my warm and cool practice....

plein air study - oil

detail of snow to show warm and cool color transitions
(Can you see the warmer blues and cooler blues within the shadows of the snow?)

my scene with my easel set up
Our Yellowstone Zoo -
Photos from out the windows of our gallery....
I missed some great eagle shots out the windows yesterday, but this elk cooperated.
a bull elk wandering through Yellowstone National Park
(notice the warm spots where the sun hits the elk and the cool of the snow in the shadows underneath him)

No comments: