Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Getting my eggs in a row....

So this time of year, I regroup. I know, most people do that in January. But for me fall feels right. Our little town of Gardiner, REALLY becomes little this time of year. As the human population shrinks, the wildlife population swells. Change is in the air. The mountain peaks are white now and the kids are back to their school routine. A slower pace presides. I find myself paring down, sorting, simplifying, getting things in order, appreciating what I have – and so my ‘egg phase’….


At the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center, I’ve been painting small, simple egg portraits. The variety of eggs in their collection is astounding – and not something you often get to see. Taking the time to look closely at an egg...the colors, the shapes, the differences among them. It’s my way of appreciating the small, simple things – and finding beauty there.


(3) 6" x 6" oil on linen
all eggs are in the collection of the Yellowstone Heritage and Research Center
Left to right:
#1 - robin egg, crow egg, red tail hawk egg (from the 1920's and 30's)
#2 - a trumpeter swan egg from 1959
#3 - 3 grouse eggs.

Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial.
Richard Ben Sapir

No comments: