Monday, September 26, 2011

An Artist Statement

Creative writing is an art.

Being an artist is a way of life, not a job.

Do not write to make a living; write to make living worthwhile.

Write to make sense of my life and then pass that along.

Robert Fulghum - excerpt from “What On Earth Have I Done”



In my case I substitute “paint” for “write”. To Robert Fulghum it's an "Unfinished Manifesto", visual artists may call it an artist statement.

I've been thinking about writing a new artist statement, so I've had my radar up for any thoughts on the subject. My artist statement is something I revisit now and then. It keeps me on track. I'm gathering and percolating at the moment. Fall is a good time for that. I'll let you know when and if I come to a consensus and can put all those thoughts into a concise few sentences.

In the meantime, I paint...

I was on my way to Yellowstone Lake with my easel, but I didn't make it through Hayden Valley without a quick painting. That's often the problem. Mornings in Hayden Valley are filled with wonder - paintings are everywhere! I HAD to stop. As I painted before the sun rose, elk were bugling and bison were grunting, as the fog was shifting with a sliver of a moon above it all. Pure wonder....
Hayden Valley Wonder 6" x 6"  Plein Air Oil


Visitors at my spot on the Yellowstone River in Hayden Valley...a flock of Canadian Geese landing.
 
I did make it to Yellowstone Lake as the sun was coming up. Always a treat. I found a quiet sandy corner to set up - perfect temperature and no wind. A plein air painter's paradise....
Gull Point  6" x 6"  Plein Air  Oil

Visitors passing by Gull Point on Yellowstone Lake....otters swimming by.

Then home I went, thinking more about that artist statement. But I was in a good place for my thought, since my mind was filled with wonder and beauty from my morning in Yellowstone.

No comments: