Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Eyes on the sky....

'Big Sky Country' they call it. And it really is. The skies here can be glorious. And, lately they have been. I've had my 'eyes on the sky'. Even last night - shooting stars were overhead.

So I've been focused on the sky for my plein air paintings in Yellowstone over the last couple days. From a painting instructor years ago I was told - "you don't paint clouds, you paint cloud like things". The gist - clouds move WAY too fast to actually paint one plein air. You go for the overall feel.

Each day had a very different 'feel' to the sky.  I hope that comes across in my paintings...

Madison River  6" x 6"  plein air  oil  by Shirl Ireland
The view from my easel over the Madison River in Yellowstone National Park.
Slough Creek Clouds 6" x 6"  plein air  oil  by Shirl Ireland
The view from my easel over Slough Creek in Yellowstone National Park.

A mule deer and fawn this morning in Yellowstone National Park
Sad news... We're down to one sandhill crane colt on Floating Island Lake. So far, I've heard no one knows the cause.
Floating Island Lake in Yellowstone National Park -
sandhill crane pair at nest, now with one colt.

No comments: