Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Made In Montana

“Made locally” seems to be a common catch phrase anymore. Good. I’m glad it’s catching on. After all, that ALWAYS has been our motto! It doesn’t get much more ‘made locally’ than we are. Between our 4 hands working hard here in Gardiner, and our foundry and framer near Bozeman, it’s ALL made right in this little corner of Montana.

 
Speaking of which...Yesterday, I was off to pick up a new frame from Toni, my framer. She lives just outside Bozeman and creates and hand-gilds frames in her home studio. She’s good – REAL good. Check out her web site to see more of her work.... http://www.artistbuiltframes.com./

It’s always a treat to go visit Toni, and you can’t beat the scenery along the way in Paradise Valley -- a good day out. (The six year old in the car with me might not have the same point of view, since he came along to go to his dentist appointment. Where we live, you never go to the ‘big city’ without combining errands.)

 
Framing had always been ‘an issue’ before – and believe me, I have tried all the options over the years….frame shops that chop and glue up standard moldings, large framing factories, making them ourselves, and yes, even the ready-made imports, etc. etc. The frame that surrounds the piece is so important and nothing felt like the right answer - until I found Toni.

 
Now, I take my paintings to her place and together we choose an appropriate moulding style, width and color for a frame to complement each piece. She has a good eye for art, so I get a critique of my work too. (An extra bonus – we artists LOVE ‘critiquers’ with a good eye!)

 
Then, she gets to work. It’s interesting to see the frames at the different stages… she makes the raw wood frame, then layers it with traditional clay bole, and hand-gilds them with metal gold leaf. And finally does some finishing layers to give them a wonderful mellow patina – high quality with a soft, mellow look, just how I like them! (since those descriptions are what I'm attempting in my paintings, as well.)

 
I look forward to the news that it’s time to pick them up. Not only do I get to see her beautiful creations, but we get to chat awhile too. She’s not just 'my framer' anymore – but she has become a dear cherished friend. So....
  • I’ve cut down on some environmental problems by not 'shipping from a far' - no packaging or trucking involved.
  • added to the local economy
  • AND built community and friendships.
 No question. THAT’S the way it should be.

Toni's frame on my 12" x 12" plein air study - Margaret's 72nd - perfect fit
(There's a good story behind this painting, that will show up in a later post....)
Toni's gold frame on Balance 24" x 36" oil
Toni's gold frame of Tree Serenade 6 1/2" x 12" oil
Toni's dark gold frame on Winter Wanderings  12" x 16" oil
Toni's gold frame on Winter Bales 9" x 9"
Toni's dark gold and weathered wood frame on Sometimes It Snows In April - study - 18" x 24" oil
 
And what a beautiful drive it is to Bozeman from our place – (add ‘fosters inner peace’ to that above list!) I had to include a shot I took along the way. I try never to drive through Paradise Valley without my camera, there’s always something ‘worth shooting’.

The light was beautiful peaking through the clouds and hitting the mountains.
 
“Made locally”….it could change the world.

 

No comments: