Saturday, March 5, 2011

Continuing Education for a painter....

I was just in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and Victor, Idaho for 5 days. Although I stayed at the base of the Tetons, I didn't see the top of them once - it was that snowy. A storm blew in and closed all the roads out of the valley. The driving was brutal, to say the least. BUT, it was absolutely wonderful! I had the opportunity to take a workshop with an amazing landscape painter, Scott Christensen - 2 of us, along with his studio assistant, watched him block in several huge canvases for some new work he's beginning. We talked about his recent trip to the Zorn and Russian Museums, perused his vast art library, listened to his ideas on painting, he gave pointers and answered questions. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with him and being in his studio and gallery each day. He was a wonderful teacher. If you're not familiar with his work, you should be... http://www.christensenstudio.com/. I took my life in my hands and drove to the National Museum of Wildlife Art before I left. It was worth it - other than the staff, I literally had the place to myself. What a treat to be alone in the Rungius room for an entire hour! I even managed to get out and plein air paint in the snow storm while I was there. Could it get any better?? Now, with all my new motivation and ideas percolating, I can't wait to get behind the easel.....

No comments: