Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Yellowstone Lake and Lamar River - Two of my favorite spots in Yellowstone National Park

A Ray Of Hope - plein air study 12" x 9"
Yellowstone Lake Oil on linen

I've painted at the Lake many, many times. It can be a tricky place to paint because of the weather - volatile and often windy. But this day was a gift - even though there were storm clouds, the wind held off until I finished the painting. If you look close, you'll see some sand that blew into my wet paint! I'm using this study for a larger painting I'm just beginning.



Canyon on the Lamar - plein air study 9" x 9" Lamar River Oil on linen

My plein air set up is very portable. So it's fun to go into more remote places of Yellowstone Park to paint - places many people never see. I hiked in, carrying my easel and painting supplies in my back pack. When I found 'the spot', the best vantage point was on a rock in the Lamar River. I have a habit of stepping back often to see my painting. I had to curtail that on this one! While I painted, two eagles soared and circled above me. I don't think it gets any better...

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Very nice painting. Ok so I'm a troutfisherman and the Lamar and Soda Butte are two of my favorite places. Wolf watching too! :}

Shirl said...

When I'm plein air painting, I have often crossed paths with trout fishermen - I guess we both have similar tastes for the good spots! Wolf watchers too -- Darn, and I thought those 'secret' spots were all mine....:)