Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Juried into the Hockaday Museum's Minatures & More Show

Blue Ribbon by Shirl Ireland Oil on linen 9" x 12"
Exciting news! My plein air painting, Blue Ribbon, was juried into the Hockaday Museum's Miniature and More Show. The show culminates with a benefit auction in May. I'll ship the painting out this week. Also, I'm working on a smaller 4"x6" sketch that I'll send along as a 100% donation toward the auction. I'll post a photo of the sketch when it's complete, along with more details of the Show.
Blue Ribbon was from a plein air 'marathon' in Yellowstone last fall. I was on a mission -- And what a fun day it was!... I painted Yellowstone Lake, a scene in Hayden Valley and then finished up with this painting near Ice Lake (not too far from Norris Junction). The challenge of this painting was to 'catch the light'. Clouds were rolling in and out, but when the sun was out, the colors were absolutely glorious! I certainly was inspired to paint it....So I'd wait for a sunny glimpse and 'paint like mad'. Sometimes the 'rush' from plein air painting can be like drinking 10 cups of coffee - that's how this one felt. I didn't even notice my cold feet!

No comments: