Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Painting Classes

Last night we had a fun painting class at the Gallery. Our topic of the evening was COLOR - one of my favorites! To illustrate some of the basic principles, I whipped up some blue and orange Jell-O for us to paint. I cut it into LOTS of cubes, so everyone could have their own plate of colors and shapes. A good exercise to illustrate complementary AND warm and cool colors. We also looked at the relative warmness and coolness of EACH color. Even though many people think of blue as a cool color and orange as a warm color - it's relative. There are warmer and cooler blues - so we looked for those varieties in our Jell-O. Where the colors overlapped, since Jell-O is translucent, you could really see a change in the temperatures and colors. VERY interesting and fun to paint! This session we're focusing on color and design, but I can't stop myself - next week I'm also going to be talking about VALUES. It's just too important of a concept to not bring up!

No comments: