Thursday, August 20, 2009

Plein Air Painting Season

Morning Glory by Shirl Ireland 6"x12" Plein Air Oil
Summer to me is plein air painting time. (Well, I paint outside year round, but this is CERTAINLY the season when it's most comfortable!) So in the summer, I just about wear myself out trying to 'fit it all in'. You'll find me outside painting every morning at dawn. (Friends have heard my mantra - "Sleep is for sissies".) Living at the edge of Yellowstone, there isn't a better way to start the day than a painting at sunrise. This is one of my pieces from a morning this summer that is now in the collection of First Interstate Bank in Livingston, Montana.

1 comment:

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Hi Shirl, I have been wondering how your summer is going and your painting. This is a lovely painting!

I have the Plein Air 09 competition starting next week. I have been out practicing. My problem is that after a great plein air session I feel compelled to immediately go into the studio and work on a larger painting as something more developed, which gives me a bit of needed rest from outdoor painting. I know I should wait until winter, but I get into what is happening now.