Sunday, May 10, 2009

Highlights from a day in Yellowstone


Great Horned Owl

Eagle Carcass


Saturday morning I painted at Swan Lake in Yellowstone National Park at dawn. I had the Sandhill Cranes to myself - their calls echoing through the fog. I love mornings plein air painting in Yellowstone, but it was COLD! When I finished my painting and headed home, around 7:30AM, it was UP TO 23 degrees! It's hard to stay warm just standing for a couple hours in that. Home is about a 12 mile drive from there, dropping about 2000 feet in elevation. It was 20 degrees warmer when I arrived. The temperature swings here can be pretty extreme. It turned out to be a beautiful afternoon... so back into Yellowstone we went to hike with friends. This time I had to put sunscreen on! We saw a Great Horned Owl pair nesting (check back, I'm hoping to get photos of the owlets when they hatch). We also saw an eagle carcass. It was amazing how sharp the talons were! You never know what you'll come across in Yellowstone.


No comments: